Top Ten Tuesday :: Books I've decided I'm no longer interested in reading

February 20, 2018

Top ten Tuesday is a weekly blog meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. This week's prompt was to talk about books I'm no longer interested in reading.

This was a tricky one for me to write about, since I generally avoid talking about negative stuff here one my blog, but also because I don't tend to take stuff off my to be read list, just prioritise everything else above it, so I hadn't really thought about it.

On giving it a bit more thought, the obvious answer that came to me was classics, which was closely followed by stuff by mostly dead, mostly white guys that I thought I needed to read because you're supposed to if you want to be well read (or something). Rather than ten titles I'm listing 5 men that I thought i should read but who I'm letting go of so I can prioritise other stuff that is more important/relevant to me today instead (with the proviso that I might totally change my mind in the future, but if I do it will because I want to read them, rather than because I feel like I should!).


1) Tolkien - Ok, I've tried with Tolkien (LOTR and The Hobbit) and I can just never get into it.

2) Tolstoy - I would love to have the patience for Tolstoy, since I have no doubt that his work is brilliant, but I just haven't found it yet (and I'm getting to be ok with that!)... I loved the BBC adaptation of War and Peace last year, though!

3) Stephen King - I have never read anything by Stephen King, and which I had thought I might, but now I just don't think I am keen enough to invest the time in it.


4) Charles Dickens - Maybe one day, but for now I think I'm happy with an annual listening to Patrick Stewart read A Christmas Carol on audio

5) Gabriel Garcia Marquez - I struggled through quite a bit of Gabriel Garcia Marquez in the original Spanish during my years studying language at university, and I while I thought I wanted to read more I haven't been ready yet!

See what everyone else isn't interested in reading over at The Artsy Reader Girl =)

 xo Bron

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Kindred Soul!! I loved Anna Karenina, but War & Piece is just not happening. I almost put GGM on my list. Stephen King--I did read the Long March. That's it. Good to find your list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If ever I get through a Charles Dickens novel, I'll be amazed! Love his stories as BBC adaptations, but voluntarily picking up a book by him? Yeah, I don't sense it. :D

    Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe